Thursday, February 6, 2014

The New Weird

For this week I decided to read Edgar Allen Poe's The Tell Tale Heart. I have read many short stories by Poe but I think this is now my favorite. I loved how he repeated some things to make it seem things to the reader. I also really like how crazy he is that he wants to kill this man and plans it for so long. Then when he finally kills him, and the police come, he confesses because he heart basically tells him to. The fact that he was laughing and smiling when holding the heart makes you really believe that he is a mad man and that he's crazy.

I have been watching the show Dexter and this short story kind of goes with the show. Dexter cuts people up into many different pieces and throws them in the ocean. He is kind of like Poe where he knows its bad but he has to and wants to. The way Poe writes makes you really want to keep reading because he shows that he wants to take the killing slow but then he jumps to burying the heart and the police coming. That didn't take very long but leading up to it did. I like that style about Poe's work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment